Time Flies When You're Having Fun!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Feb 18, 2012

IVF-Here We Go!

Most of you know that Drew and I have been trying for 2 years to start a family. After being unsuccessful on our own for the first 14 months, we decided to see a specialist. Drew and I were so excited, we thought we would get pregnant right away. If not the first month, within 3 months for sure. Well 3 months came and went and still no baby. For those first 3 months I took clomid and gave myself an HCG shot once a month. So as we know that didn't work. Ok, so we met with our doctor. The first 3 months of clomid didn't work, so now time for a new plan. We set up a 3 month plan to do IUI's (insemination). I was still taking clomid and the HCG shot but had now added a shot of Bravelle. This was done for 3 months and yet no baby.

So we went back in to meet with our doctor and he recomended in vitro. Drew and I were excited about it at first. Our doctor explained to us that the problem was with my tubes and that we can bypass that problem by doing in vitro. He also said we had an option of surgery but it wasn't a guarantee that it would fix anything. In Vitro(IVF) seemed to make the most sense. So we were feeling good about it for a few minutes until they ushered us into the financial advisor. Then our hearts sank. It was so much money and we were completely overwhelmed with the choices before us. Our hopes for a family were dwindling fast. Drew and I took some time and discussed our options. The most likely option seemed to save for at least a year if not 2 so that we could save up the money for the 6 tries program. This would give us not only peace of mind if the first few tries didn't work, but also we would get 70% of our money back if we never brought home a baby from the hospital. We decided to take a couple of months off to be sure that we knew what we wanted to do and talk to both our families about the smartest move.

Drew and I talked to both of our families that same weekend. They agreed that the 6 tries program was the way to go. But when Drew's parents found out that we were planning on waiting and looking into loans, they immediately stopped us and said they wanted to fund it and that we could get started right away. I cried a lot that day. I am so grateful for their help and I hope this will end in a grandbaby for them.

So the plan was back on. I went in at 7:00am on Monday and we got the ball rolling. I had a water ultra-sound (not fun) and then they gave me a 20 minute low down of what to do each day (this should have taken an hour, but they got behind and I had to get to school). I had to immediately start 4 medications and Drew had to start 1. So we were on our way.

I had to start birth control, prenatal vitamin, baby asprin, and an antibiotic, which Drew did as well

Then the real fun began-Lupron-inject in my stomach each morning. Seems like cake now that I started my next set of injections. (I'll do this for about 20 days)

I started 2 Bravelle and 1 Menopur that I mix together along with the Lupron (This is for about 10 days) This is also an injection, so I now do 2 injections every morning in the stomach. This medicine hurts more because their is more liquid. I'm super bruised and I'm only half way done.


I know that I will be doing a single HCG shot and then I will start progesterone pills and injections soon. The needle is much much longer and Drew will have to give me this shot everyday in the hip. I heard that this shot is the worst and that the progesterone oil is thicker so it doesn't feel good going in. We will see.

I know their is more medication that is listed that I will be taking but I don't know when I start each one.

My daily appointments start next week so they may have me start taking the other medication soon.

With all this craziness you think I would be dreading each day I have to get up and give myself 2 shots, but really I am excited. We have a higher chance of getting pregnant than not. It is hard not to get your hopes up and I am so grateful for our families and thier support and I am grateful to my Heavenly Father. I know the plan is still in His hands and I wouldn't have it any other way. If this is not our path, then I am grateful that I can look back and say that we tried everything we could to get pregnant. If this doesn't work, maybe adoption will be our next step. But for now, I am excited that we have higher chance of getting pregnant and I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for modern medicine. I hope our future children know how much we love them and that we are doing this all for them whether they end up coming to us through in vitro or adoption. I thank my Heavenly Father for our future family.

2 comments:

The Pyper's! said...

OUCH! I love you and know you will be a great mommy soon!! We will be continually praying for you guys!

Jenna said...

Oh Lyndee! I am the biggest slacker EVER! I haven't been keep up on blogs lately so I had no idea about all the problems with getting pregnant. I will keep you and Drew in my prayers and know that we are thinking of you guys! Good luck! It will all be worth it in the end!